Wednesday, May 3, 2017

EXPERIMENTING WITH FRUSTRATION


Hey Friends,  I have spent the last hour or so playing with charcoal and alcohol, turpentine, water on Lana WC paper and canvas panels.
Look at all the lovely pastels my Friend Mary Anne gave me.  I want to use them so I'm experimenting.  There was a small piece of charcoal in the box.


I ground it up and it's in this tiny cup.  I got one piece of paper wet all over and shook the charcoal all over it.  I dribbled and splashed drops on 2nd paper.  Then shook charcoal all over it.


Both tests were DUD's.  Above and below.


I poured water fast all over this 2nd one.


And here it is dried and sprayed with fixative.


THEN I thought maybe I could smear the charcoal on the paper, THEN splashed turps, alcohol and last water.  


THEN I had the brilliant idea to glaze the paper with Golden's glazing medium, shake the charcoal on it, then splash the alcohol.  Did that on both the paper and the canvas.
What a bummer.
I want to figure out how Casey Baugh used Charcoal on paper and made it look like acrylics that bubble and spread with alcohol drops.
His paintings with this effect are in the new Art Collectors Magazine, featured in the very front.
Next I will try black pastels.

If anyone out there in the blog-0-sphere or Facebook knows what I'm trying to acheive, please be kind and show me how to do this.
I'll love ya forever.

Happy Trails

No comments: