Tuesday, July 5, 2016

PLEIN AIR STARTS FROM A TRIP TO THE PEAKS OF OTTER LAST WEEK


Hey Friends,  Do you find yourself busy as the devil in the summer??  What happened to the lazy dazy days of summer, like in the past?  I should not complain.
Last week, I went with the DLP's to the Peaks of Otter for a relaxing day of plein air.  I'm continuing with my STARTS for now.


This 8x16 started with the focal point, the huge tree in the left.  Yeah Its pretty dark back there but that's 'cuz the camera focused on the white canvas.  My thought was to put in the dark's and some of the mid values and of course I'll have that photo to help guide me.  Just hope I can remember to take more progress photos.


You can barely see the lines here but I used a WC pencil instead of paint to locate the stones.


This is showing you the scene.  My focal point will be the tiny dash of white water close to the left.



And here are the dark's and mid's, really looks different.


This is my third start.  Just about the same scene from a different angle.  Both are 9x12.
I'm finding I don't do so well out there in the big world with a tiny canvas like a 5x7 or 6x6.
That tiny size works better indoors with smaller brushes, for me anyway.


Here is the days LOOT.  The starts !


And here was our last curious collector.  She wanted the cookies, not the paintings.  She came very close, so you know people have been feeding her.  I'm sure she will die by the hands of some people. 
Nature is too trusting in some cases.
Hope there are NO idiots feeding the bears.

Hope to work on one of these starts today and post some progress shots tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to visit.
Wish we could visit in person.

Happy Trails

No comments: